Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is coughing every 3-5 seconds then followed

My son is coughing...

My son is coughing every 3-5 seconds then followed frequently by a little belchand sometimes sounds like something is coming up. Not sure how concerned to be

Doctor's Assistant: Has your son's coughing been stable or getting worse? Have there been any illnesses going around?

Getting much worse. We were just at the doctor this morning to make sure everything was ok because he had had one virus after another the past 2 weeks. One being cold cough, then into a stomach bug/diarrhea. Was ok for a few days. Now this.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has he been dealing with diarrhea? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

Diarrhea was 4-5 days but he is over that now. His cough wasn’t near this bad when we were at the doctor.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in his medical history you think the doctor should know?

First time this bad. He does have seasonal allergies and last year we had to start using inhaler. Technically should not of started yet. Sorry, technically his allergy should not have started yet

3/14/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how old is your son? Can he tell you if he is feeling tight in the chest at all or if it is difficult to inhale/exhale? Do you hear any audible wheezing? Has his breathing been rapid, shallow, or looking more labored since you saw his doctor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is almost 5 years old. he does not express tightness in the chest just fatigue and irritated from coughing so much. No wheezing but I do see him take extra time to exhale and he does this thing where he kind of exhales 2x at the end. It is not really rapid or shallow it just seems like he is not getting enough air because almost every time he inhaled, he coughs. I have been watching his ribcage to make sure there is no pulling between them. Now since I wrote this, I gave him some motrin because he fever was above 102 and it helped his coughing also. Not sure why. I had tried his inhaler earlier but it didn't do anything. His inhaler has only been used a few time total, as he did had an allergy induced asthma attack last summer. but we have rarely used it since then. But i just thought i would try it.

Thank you for that additional information. Trying the inhaler was a good idea and since it did not help much, it's a good way to know that his coughing is not asthma related. With fever, kids tend to breathe a little faster. The Motrin probably helped a little because it reduced his fever, slowing down his breathing, which may in turn reduce coughing. Doesn't sound like he's in any respiratory distress, from your description above, nicely noted with the lack of retractions, or pulling inward between the ribs. All that you have written and his visit to the doctor earlier today put together are very reassuring and though his coughing may seem worse now than before, you can have peace of mind that he's not experiencing any dangerous difficulty breathing. Unfortunately, there are effective cough medications in children, but you can try something like all natural Zarbee's or some honey mixed in luke warm chamomile tea. All in all, sounds like a new viral illness that he will gradually heal from naturally. Can I answer anything else for you this evening?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don't think so . Thanks you so much for your time!
You’re very welcome. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han