Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

A month and a half ago my daughter(1month 4 months ) had…

A month and a half...
A month and a half ago my daughter(1month 4 months ) had severe diarrhea and it turned out to be that she caught salmonella .. we treated her with antibiotic (suprax) in 5 days time she became good.. we did 2 stool tests afterwards in a-month time and turned out that no salmonella anymore .. all went well for a while until last week she started having fever 38.5-40.5 .. we gave her panadol and profinal for 4 days and fever was gone .. 3 days ago she started Having a sever cough that wasnt letting her sleep .. and alot of runny nose with mucous in her throat.. doctors checked her found that chest was clean throat and ears were all perfect.. they asked me to give her histamed twice a day and a spray in her nose.. she became better last night but slept alot.. tonighy she started having diarrhea again with fever almost 38.5.. ps her tooth and canines are coming out and her activity is normal .. what should we do please
3/14/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, is your daughter able to drink fluids without vomiting and is she still urinating?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
drinking normally urinating normally ... doesnt have an appetite for food but eating a little
Thank you for that information. As long as she is not passing bloody stools (which would suggest another bacterial infection, like salmonella) or vomiting profusely and not urinating (which would be dehydration) your daughter most likely has a stomach virus of some kind. Giving her plenty of fluids with electrolytes and over the counter probiotics will prevent dehydration and help her recover from the diarrhea. You can continue to use fever reducing medicine as needed. I would also use plenty of diaper rash prevention cream as well. Unfortunately it is common for children her age to get frequent back to back virus illnesses, but thankfully not dangerous.
Can I answer anything else for you today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is anything related to the teeth. ? And plz should i keep on taking the ani histamine medicine with panadol ?
Teething can sometimes be related to mild diarrhea, but does not cause fever over 38.3C. I recommend stopping the antihistamine, it only helps in situations with allergy symptoms and to help make children drowsy and sleepy. It does not do anything for cold symptoms or diarrhea. You can continue to use the Panadol for fever relief. Anything else I can help you with today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last question plz .. what about the sever coughing .. should i give her anything ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The main issue was the coughing dr.. and we didnt giver her any medicine for this ..
Unfortunately, there are no good, safe, effective, cough medicines for children her age. Though uncomfortable, the cough in and of itself is not a dangerous symptom unless she begins showing rapid, shallow, labored breathing, in which case she should see her doctor immediately. Otherwise, you can try using honey mixed with like warm chamomile tea. The cough should improve gradually on its own as she recovers from this illness.
Richard Han
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you doctor
Richard Han
Richard Han