Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter developed hives all over her body, with great…

My daughter developed hives all...
My daughter developed hives all over her body, with great painful hives on scalp,her feet and hands. She has very swollen lips, moderately swollen tongue and feels like she has a sore throat.We took her to the ER last night and she was monitored. She is on pepsin, benadryl and a steroid, but there is little to no decrease in the hives. In fact, the hives seem to move from a 7/10 to 8 or 9/10 then back to 7/10 throughout the day.She cant walk because the hives on her feet hurt so badly. Her hands are covered too. She is very uncomfortable. She has been using ice chips to help her lips and tongue.I was wondering if you, from your experience, can suggest any else we can do for a person with hives like this? How long will these last? Can we assume it is from something she ingested?Lastly, could this be Hodgkins?
3/13/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician

Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 13years of experience in the field of Pediatrics. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. What is your daughter's age?
2. Can you please upload an image of the skin rash so that I can see and get back to you and guide you properly?
3. Is there any personal or family history of urticaria or allergy or angioedema?
4. Is she having any stridor or fast breathing or noisy breathing?
5. Is there any severe pain in the abdomen or blood in the urine / motion or joint pains and joint swelling?
6. Is she running temperature and if so how high and how long?
7. Are there any visible swellings in the neck region or armpits and is the abdomen distended?I am asking you to upload some images because skin conditions are always best diagnosed and treated after seeing them directly.Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sure, Doctor,1. What is your daughter's age? She is 15
2. Can you please upload an image of the skin rash so that I can see and get back to you and guide you properly? I will attach a few photos.
3. Is there any personal or family history of urticaria or allergy or angioedema? None, but she did has mastocytosis as a baby.
4. Is she having any stridor or fast breathing or noisy breathing? No she feels like she has a sore throat.
5. Is there any severe pain in the abdomen or blood in the urine / motion or joint pains and joint swelling? She has a lot of joint pain. No abdomen pain or blood in urine. The hives on her feet are very painful and it hurts to walk.
6. Is she running temperature and if so how high and how long? no temp.
7. Are there any visible swellings in the neck region or armpits and is the abdomen distended? No.I will attach photos.
Thank you for providing the requested information.I will get back to you asap as soon as I receive the images please.
One of her knee, hind leg and lips.
Thank you
Hello Laura Mast,
I have seen the images. You have also given me a very important information that she had mastocytosis in the past.This is a case of severe form of urticaria with angioedema.I am sorry for the symptoms but they can be really irritating and persistent.The trick of management is that you need to be getting an antihistamine at regular intervals round the clock into the system to keep the allergic response at bay.I suggest -1. Tablet Hydroxizine 25mg at 12am/6am/12pm/6pm2. Syr Benadryl (12.5mg/5ml) 10ml at 3am/9am/3pm/9pm3. Topical emollients and lotions will help.4. Do not apply Calamine lotion as sometimes it may aggravate the situation please.With this type of timely management of medications, I feel that she should be feeling better within 24 hours. If not the other option is going ahead with oral Prednisolone at the dose of 2 milligrams per kg per day in 3 divided doses please.In all the above mentioned medications only Benadryl is an over the counter medication. You will require a doctor's prescription for the rest. But the main issue is time management of anti allergic medications which will show yiu results within 24 hours.Do not worry about lymphoma, this is 100% not that." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician