Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Any idea what type of rash this is? She’s been sick all day.

Any idea what type of...
Any idea what type of rash this is? She’s been sick all day. Runny nose fever of 100 tired cough. She’s about 16 months old.
3/12/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hello and thank you for requesting me. Can you tell me please, does the rash pictured seem to be itchy, i.e. is your daughter scratching it a lot? And when you press in on the rash, does it blanche or turn white then become red again after you release pressure?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s not itchy. And it turns white
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Babysitter said she was laying close to the heater. Could it just be it got hot ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should say sleeping* not laying
I see, thank you for that information. If it is from sleeping close to a heater, it should fade away and not stick around very long, unless she was actually burned, which would be painful when you touch it. Given her low grade fever and cold symptoms, the rash is most likely part of her cold virus infection. Many viruses cause harmless rashes in the skin, which can look exactly like what she has pictured. No need to be worried or concerned, the rash will resolve with time as her cold symptoms go away. Any other questions?
If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han