Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 8 month old daughter has a small to medium sized hard…

My 8 month old...

My 8 month old daughter has a small to medium sized hard lump on the back of her head near the base of her skull. She has had a decreased appetite but is also teething. She I be concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: Has your daughter's lump been stable or getting worse?

Actually I’m not sure. I think it has gotten a little bigger my husband doesn’t think so.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has she been dealing with the lump? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

First time issue and I noticed it for the first time about 3/4 days ago.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I’m aware of.

She has been more fussy lately but the lump doesn’t seem to bother her. She has a running nose and cough with drainage as well. I know that she did not fall or hit her head on anything.
3/11/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician

Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 13years of experience in the field of Pediatrics. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

Hi... I understand your concern. By what you say I feel that this is a small lymph node in the occipital region of the head. It is very common in children and very simple issues like a small scalp injury during combing or small issue like dandruff or seborrhea or head lice can cause this. Unless there is high grade chronic fever and loss of appetite and weight loss and other such swellings coming up in the armpits and in the groins, you need not worry about this at all. It is a self limiting condition and indication that your child's immune system is working well.

Single isolated lymph node need not be worried at all especially when it is in the occipital region.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Thank you for your help. She has had a decreased appetite but no weight loss. How long should I expect the lump to be there?
Since she has the running nose and coming th should I take her in? Is the lump caused by an infection?
Hi... Usually I have seen that sort of lumps to get better within 2 to 3 weeks.But even a small amount of upper respiratory infection with pharyngitis or a simple issue like a tooth eruption which you have mentioned can keep it going on.That is the exact reason why I am telling you that unless there are other danger signals which I have expressed, you need not worry about the lump at all. But you can be expectant that it will go off by itself in another 2 to 3 weeks period.Your question about infection came while I had already answered this in my above sentences.Please be rest assured. You need not be worried about this small lymph node in the occipital region.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Thank you so much, we are on vacation and you have definitely calmed my nerves. I will continue to watch to make sure we have no further issues.
Hi... I am happy that my interaction has put your mind at ease.. glad to help you anytime.
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician