Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

3 year old has had a constant cough for a couple days now…

Customer Question
3 year old has...

3 year old has had a constant cough for a couple days now and now my 11 year old is having the same problem.

Doctor's Assistant: Has the 3-year-old and your 11-year-old's cough been stable or getting worse? Have there been any illnesses going around?

1 of my children came home coughing with a fever for a couple days and it transferred to my 3 year old his fever is gone but now the cough seems to be stable his cough is like something caught in his throat and he can't stop coughing same with my 11 year old

Doctor's Assistant: How long have they been dealing with cough? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

It's been 2 days now and this is the first time for both

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

No they don't have any medical issues

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/11/2018
Pediatrician: Dr. Saha, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

I am reviewing your question & will reply soon.

Is there any mucus coming out?

Since when are they starting to get the symptoms?

Did you give any medicine?

No mucus I tried to give them some children's cough medicine

Thank you for the information,
They are likely having viral infection.
Viral infection is common to cause such symptoms.
It usually continues for 3-5 days, can take longer sometimes.
However, in most cases it clears up in a week.
Sometimes secondary bacterial infection can occur.
If you do not feel much improvement, I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.
Throat swab, blood count can be taken to find out the nature of infection.
Please give plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.
A humidifier can be kept on at night.
If they can do warm salt water gargling can help.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
Wish them early recovery.
I would expect 5 star rating if you are satisfied with it.
Regards.

Pediatrician: Paul,
 replied 5 months ago
Paul
Phone call session started