Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 3 and has been sick and had diaherra for 18days?

Customer Question
My son is 3...

My son is 3 and has been sick and had diaherra for 18days ? Doctor did blood work and X-ray blood work was good showed 11.40%on monocits when range in 3-6 is that okay? X-ray said he has alot of stool on his colon so she put him on myralax he stopped that because was still having diaherra and was throwing up with diaherra last night doctor order a stool sample but I can't get him to go he said his butt hurts what should I do?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

He's been sick for 18days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

No he's a normal healthy little boy he hasn't had issues like this before the only surgerys he's ever had we're a hernia repair and tubes in his ears

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/8/2018
Pediatrician: Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 1 month ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, has your son been having any fever at all? Any blood in the stools? Has he been able to hold down liquids by mouth and is he still urinating?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
still urinating yellow urine(about 2-3times a day) so not worried about dyhidration no blood in stool as far as I can see drinking as much as he can.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Low grade fever day 1&2 but no longer

I see, thank you for that information. It sounds to me like he has likely two things going on. First, with the low grade fever's, vomiting and diarrhea, very likely a stomach virus infection, which is very common this type of year and in children your son's age. It also explains the monocytes percentage elevated at 11.4%, which is no need for concern. Monocytes are a sub-type of white blood cell that fight off viruses, and very commonly rise temporarily with illnesses like a stomach virus.

The second thing that may be going on is that your son likely had some illness preceding stool build up in his large intestine due to mild-moderate constipation, which is also very common in toddlers his age, especially if potty training, and which explains the x-ray findings. In the setting of a vomiting/diarrhea stomach virus, it's hard to move forward on that front, because the MiraLax given is meant to soften stools from above byt retaining water in the bowels and allow them to pass, but he's already having diarrhea right now. An alternative to get the constipated stool "plug" to come out is to give a Pediatric Fleets enema once a day for 1 or 2 days, but I would talk with your pediatrician first. His butt may also be hurting because of the very frequent watery diarrhea which can cause irritation of the anus, for which you can try applying Vaseline or diaper rash creams like Desitin. You can also add some probiotics to his food and drink, which can help diarrheal illnesses resolve sooner.

Can I help with anything else today?

If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han