Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 5yo son starting complaining about a pain right above his…

Customer Question
My 5yo son starting...

My 5yo son starting complaining about a pain right above his groin area on the right side. He seems fine, no fever, no vomiting, just playing and being his normal self. He hasn't been sick or anything for a while.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

He just now started complaining. He said that if I touch it hurts

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

No really, he's a pretty healthy boy

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/6/2018
Pediatrician: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I'm sorry your son is having pain above his groin. There are several things to watch for:

If he stops eating and playing or he starts to have a fever

Both are possible signs of acute appendicitis or possible hernia. At this time, let him play and do all of his activities. It is possible that he just strained a muscle. I only mention possible symptoms so if either appendix or hernia is developing, you are aware. The chances of this developing into anything significant is very low. He will probably forget he has any pain in the next 12-24 hours.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Pediatrician: Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician replied 3 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. Any swelling near the right groin...any redness?
2. Is the pain aggravated on lying down with legs stretched and relieved with folding legs on to abdomen?
3. Is there any minor cuts or abrasions which have occurred during play on right leg please?
4. Is there any vomiting or diarrhoea or constipation?
5. Is there any fever?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani