Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 2 year old and three year old ate some bacon while I was…

My 2 year old...

My 2 year old and three year old ate some bacon while I was in the shower about an hour or less ago

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

It was uncooked raw bacon, about half the package is gone and I found some on the floor but the ate most of it

3/5/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, are your children having any stomach ache or vomiting now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Doesn’t seem like they are having any pains, and no vomiting on there own, me and my wife freaked out and we made both of them throw up, but I don’t think they got it all out

Thank you for that information, I understand your concern. If you made them vomit, chances are you got a good bit of the uncooked bacon out of them. At this point in time, there's no urgent need for concern, just watchful waiting for a day or so. The leading concern from ingesting raw bacon would be an intestinal infection. Symptoms to watch for would be stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the stool or fevers. Chances are these will not develop, but should they happen, I would schedule an appointment with your doctor for testing and treatment. There's no indication for preventive treatment now, just observation. Give them plenty of fluids and let them eat what they would normally eat. Toddlers can be very curious, so a great opportunity to make sure no more raw foods, chemicals, medications, cleaners etc. are accessible to avoid any future ingestions.

Can I help with anything else?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope that’s it thank you

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han