Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I have twin boy and girl who were born 6 weeks premature but…

I have twin boy and...
I have twin boy and girl who were born 6 weeks premature but otherwise healthy. They are currently 7 months old and very healthy. Their weight is now at 50-60% of normal weight for their age.Their pediatrician told me to start them on cereal last month. I started them on Gerber Oatmeal with iron. They are getting about three to four tablespoons each day mixed with either water or their formula.Since they have been on cereal my baby boy has been getting very constipated to the point that it is painful for him when he has to poop. The pediatrician told me that their main source of nutrition is still there formula up to age 1 but they do need the iron from the cereal. I am thinking of stopping the serial for the baby boy. Should I give him any iron supplements?The baby girl is doing fine with the cereal.Both babies are also eating 1-2 ounces of Gerber pureed fruits (pear and peach) per day.
Is there anything else I can do to help their constipation?
3/4/2018
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Hi, yes you can use iron supplement 2-3 times a week for him. Also try soft adult food dishes without spices, starting in small portions. Calcium also may be supplemented. Lectulose can help in softening poo. Good luck.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is the dosage of iron and lactulose?
Can I get those over the counter?
Iron drops can be 1-2 mg for each kg at. Lectulose start with a 3.5 ml dose and increase if needed.
Mg elemental iron
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for that. could the iron supplements make him constipated as the oatmeal cereal with iron?Would giving him extra water help with constipation?
That's why only once or twice weekly. Yes give extra water frequently.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can not find lactulose. Is it under a certain brand name?
Pharmacist must know. OTC mostly. Try Duphalac, Lactugal, Laevoloc.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I couldn't find Duphalac, Lactugal, Laevoloc.
Is Miralax the same?I ended up giving him Pedialax rectally.
It made him go over there in 2 minutes.
She pooped three full diapers.What are your thoughts about Pedialax?
Quite ok.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is Miralax ok? How much Miralax should I give him?
that too. Give 3.5-5 ml daily or alternate day.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician