Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Well whatever hit me a couple nights ago is back for the…

Ok well whatever hit me...
Ok well whatever hit me a couple nights ago is back for the third time, but still no fever above 100. Just feel warm/cold, body aches and clammy, a little discomfort in my chest/ribs and a little fatigue. It only last a few hours. Any ideas??? I don’t seem to be getting the bad stuff (knock on wood) the rest of my family got that lasted for days with very high fevers.
1/21/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician

Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 13years of experience in the field of Pediatrics. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

Hi... I understand your concern. By what you say I feel that you are having a viral illness.

All the symptoms of generalized body aches fever and fatigue are pointing towards the same. Another significant point is that some of your other family members are also just out of similar illness.

I will explain you how a viral illness behaves so that you can be at ease.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is your activity and sense of well-being, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If you feel active when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-5 days. So do not worry about duration if you are feeling better when fever touches baseline.

Paracetamol can be taken in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 650mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

I am happy to help anytime. Please get back to me if there are any further queries.

If you are happy with my interaction, please do remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and professional work.

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Thank you for your advice. So with a viral infection it’s normal to have a fever hat last a couple hours then go away for awhile? When my fever reduces I feel completely normal again. I was. Diagnosed with acute bronchitis that I am taking a zpac for. I just never experienced long breaks from a fever. Is it my body fighting it off that fast? Also is it normal for racing heart beat and palpitations when having a fever?

Hi... Viral illness behaves exactly like this. You may have fever for a couple of hours and then it will get relieved and you will be feeling completely normal. Fever may come in bouts intermittently.

1. When were you diagnosed with acute bronchitis and today is which day of antibiotic Azithromycin (Z-PAC)?

Racing Heartbeat and palpitations are also quite common during the height of fever. Do not worry about them. If at all you have been on any bronchodialators for bronchitis then these also could be the reason for palpitations.

2. May I know the whole prescription of drugs which your prescribed for bronchitis?

Please get back to me with answers to my above 2 questions and I will be in a better position to guide you.

Regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

I went to the ER the morning of the 19th. I have taken 2 days worth of the zpac so far. I was also prescribed benzonatate (Spell) but only took one the first day and one that night. My cough has gotten better. It’s the up and down fevers I get that make me feel worse. I have never experienced anything other than a persistent fever and downtime with being sick.
Hi...Benzonatate will not cause palpitations or racing heartbeat. I feel you are getting these symptoms only because of fever.You should be out of your viral illness in another couple of days.If you feel the fever is intolerable, what you can do is, instead of Paracetamol take Ibuprofen 400mg every 6 hourly only if there is fever more than 100 degrees Fahrenheit or body pains and myalgia.Please get back to me if you have any other health concerns.If you are satisfied with your health concerns and my interaction please give me a 5 star rating.Regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Thank you. I also feel very rubbed down and drained after my fever breaks. How long should that last? It like a depression mode
Hi... I understand your concern. This sort of extreme myalgia and prostration is the reason for you feeling so let down.It may last for maximum of 7 days.I had suggested please use Ibuprofen you will feel a lot better.Apart from this drinking lots of amount of water at least 3-4 litres per day will reduce the body heat and also this type of myalgias.Regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician