Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

We were out on a frozen lake and my son fell a couple times…

We were out on a...
We were out on a frozen lake and my son fell a couple times and hit his head, but he had a ski helmet on. He got back up like nothing happened. We got back to our hotel room and he’s suddenly very nauseous. He fell asleep standing up with his head in my lap. A little unlike him But he had a late night, early morning, and a busy day. He’s currently sleeping. My concern is do you think he could have gotten a concussion even though he had a helmet on?? I asked him and he said no to a headache. Heart rate is around 100, temp is normal.
He’s puked a couple times now. And I should add he had a 12 hour stomach bug 3 days ago. He’s 3 yrs old
1/21/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician
Hi...Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani from India. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (PAEDIATRICS).,
I should add his heart rate is around 120 now, oxygen 97-98%, temp is 98.4. I’m a little concerned about him getting dehydrated or having low blood sugar as he hadn’t eaten much today.
Hi... I understand your concern. I need some more information.1. How many times has he vomited till now?2. You have mentioned oxygen saturation as 98%. Are you doing this with a pulse oximeter? If so can you measured his BP if you have the Apparatus with you?3. Before sleeping off was he oriented or was he confused?4. Did he have any double vision?5. Was there any watery discharge from the nose or from the ears?Please revert back to me with answers so that I can get you better.Regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
2 episodes of puking.
Yes I have a pulse oximiter. But it cannot do BP
no he didn’t seem confused
No double vision
No new eye discharge- but it’s been kind of junky yellow discharge for the past day or so. He’s had a minor cold.
Hi... Thank you for getting back with the requested information soon.In my fifth question I was asking you about ear discharge and nose discharge, not about eye discharge please.Two episodes of puking will not make him dehydrated or hypoglycemic (low blood sugar levels) please.If his urine output is normal you need not worry about his dehydration at all.This may not be concussion or any sort of increased intracranial pressure as, if that is the case, his heart rate would have been lower.As he had less amount of sleep, right now I suggest that you let him sleep and after he wakes up give him something to eat and drink.I will let you know the signs of dehydration so that you can be more confident - decreased urine output and the kid not passing urine at least 6 hours once, low pulse volume, sunken eyes, dry tongue, loss of skin turgor, high heart rate. I agree that 120 per minute is a higher heart rate for your kid. But he had abnormal sleep timings and also he had a fall twice. So you can wait until he wakes up. If he does not wake up by himself in another 2 or 3 hours please wake him up and look for these signs of dehydration which I have mentioned.Please get back to me if there is any other issue regarding this.Hope this helps. Please get back to me if you have any further query regarding this and I will there to guide you further. I will be happy to help anytime regarding this or any other health query you have.If you are happy with my interaction, please do remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and professional work.Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (PAEDIATRICS).,
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician