Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had diarrhea off and on for the last couple months. I…

I have had diarrhea off...
I have had diarrhea off and on for the last couple months. I went to my doctor and they did tests on me. They did not find anything in the blood and stool tests. They told me to eat a bland diet and take probiotics. I have followed their instructions however it has not helped my condition. I have been reading online that people that are struggling with diarrhea claim that calcium supplements can help tremendously. Specifically, the brand Caltrate which has 600 mg of calcium, and 50 mg of magnesium, with 800 d3. Are there any risks in me trying this supplement
1/21/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician

Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 13years of experience in the field of Pediatrics. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

Hi.... I understand your concern. Can you kindly provide me with some more information which I require about your health condition.1. Is your diarrhoea associated with stress?
2. The past couple of months is it alternating with diarrhoea / normal / stools constipation?3. Is there any bloody diarrhoea?4. What was your weight 2 months back and what is it now?Please revert back to me with answers to my questions so that I can guide you better.Regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
No I do not associate the diarrhea with stress from what I know. I will have a few days with very normal stools and then I will have a couple days with diarrhea. I have never been constipated. When I did the stool test with the doctor I provided 3 samples. On two of the days it found nothing. However on one of the days it found Few Red Blood Cells. I'm not sure what that means and my doctor has not called me about it. I have not seen any blood in my stool. My weight is the same from what I know, but I haven't weighed myself. My strength is the same in the gym in the last 2 months
Hi.... Thank you for getting back with the requested information soon.By what you say I feel that you may have a condition called irritable bowel syndrome.You need not worry about this. This will settle in due course of time. Nothing to worry about it.You may as well go ahead with the calcium, magnesium and Vitamin D supplementation which you have mentioned. There is no harm in taking this.Please go ahead with the medication which you are planning to take.Hope this helps. Please get back to me if you have any further query regarding this and I will there to guide you further. I will be happy to help anytime regarding this or any other health query you have.If you are happy with my interaction, please do remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and professional work.Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (PAEDIATRICS).,
What about the stool test where the result said Few Red Blood Cells? Is that normal to have?
Hello, yes please, do not worry about it as that is also normal and it is quite common for adults to have some red blood cells in the stool routine examination.We need to see this red blood cells in the stool test along with other symptoms which are not present in you.Please be rest assured about this report.With the clinical clue I have given you can also discuss the same with your physician. I am certain that he also will concur with me and opine the same.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician
Okay thank you. I will definitely give you 5 stars