Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I have 2 kids (3 yrs old and a 9 month old). I’m paranoid of…

I have 2 kids (3...
I have 2 kids (3 yrs old and a 9 month old). I’m paranoid of them catching influenza and getting very sick. Both were full term healthy babies. The only health problem is my 3 year old has low iron but he is currently taking supplements. They both got their flu shots this year. How do I know when it’s time to take them to the ER? I have a heart rate/oxygen finger monitor I like to use when they are sick. Do I watch their oxygen level? Because low oxygen would be a sign of pneumonia right?Before when my 3 yr old gets sick, he goes downhill so fast. We’ve been to the ER multiple times for fluids and he’s even had a couple hospital stays ( 1 for a stubborn stomach bug and 1 for possible flu or RSV that turned into pneumonia).
1/19/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hello and thank you for requesting me. In general, influenza behaves like a very bad cold. The first sign of needing to go to the ER would be what doctors refer to as respiratory distress. Rapid, shallow, labored breathing, wheezing, flaring of nostrils, sucking inward of the ribs and neck where it meets the chest or any bluish discoloration of the lips would signify this. With your home pulse oximeter anything under 95% is abnormal with under 90% being much more serious. Next would be signs of dehydration. Very poor oral intake of fluids with no urination for more than 8-10 hours, particularly if vomiting on top of that, and I would go to the ER. Finally, if either child is extremely irritable, inconsolable and looking to be in pain, or so lethargic and listless like a rag doll and difficult to arouse, they should be seen by a medical professional.
Otherwise, Tylenol/Motrin for fever, plenty of rest and fluids and they should be fine.
Any other questions?
If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you
Would the oxygen levels be the same for an adult too?
Richard Han
Richard Han