Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Can you giverify Nyquil in combination with 250mgkeppra,

500mg depakote,2mg ativan, 20mg pepcid...
Can you giverify Nyquil in combination with 250mgkeppra, 500mg depakote,2mg ativan, 20mg pepcid and 15mg remeron? My 30 year old niece weighs 82lbs and has cerebral palsy and epilepsy. She had the previously stated med at 8:30. She has a PE-G tube, so all meds were in liquid form or crushed and dissolved then pushed thru PE-G tube.
1/18/2018
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

Please write the composition of Nyquil you have.

There are different preparations of it with a minor change of name.

Nyquil cold and flu with the following active ingredients in each 30 ml dose:
Acetaminophen 650mg
Dextromethorphan HBr 30mg
Doxylamine succinate 12.5mg
I'm pretty sure she has caught the flu from my husband as she woke upthis AM presenting the same symptoms as he presented early yesterday AM. Fever, chills, sore throat, nasal drainage and cough. She is NPO due to failing a modified swallow, but I did mist her throat with Chloraseptic spray with an active ingredient of Phenol 1.4%.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
There are some major to moderate interaction of dextromethorphan, doxylamine with remeron, depakote & keppra.
It would be better to avoid Nyquil now.
For throat pain, fever, acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be given.
You can keep the room warm & humidified.
This will ease her discomfort & breathing.
Please try to give mildly warm liquid.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

She can't have any thING by mouth due to aspiration risks, hence the reason G tube was placed. We are snowed in for at least the next 24-48 hours and the roads are closed. Could she have Robitussin children's cough and cold with the following composition per 5 ml:
Brompheniramine maleate 1mg
Dextromethorphan HBr 5mg
Phenylephrine HCl 2.5mg

I am very sorry.

Here dextromethorphan is there though the dose is less.

Tylenol liquid or syrup can be given.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician