Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son has a stomach bug since 7am this morning. He hasn’t…

My son has a stomach...
My son has a stomach bug since 7am this morning. He hasn’t been able to keep any liquids down yet. He’s been sipping water and pedialyte and eating ice chips. No fever, very tired, and I noticed his heart rate is climbing. It was in the 120-130 range and now it’s 140’s (awake but resting). Is this ok? How do I know when it’s time to take him in for fluids ?
He’s 3 years old
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how many times has he vomited today so far? Any diarrhea? And has he urinated at all today and how many times?

He’s puked 8-10 times or so. No diarrhea...yet. He peed once around 1pm.
I should add he peed this morning when he got up before the puking stared.

Thank you for that information. Should he develop any bloody or dark green copious vomit, he should be seen right away. Otherwise, dehydration is the condition that would prompt an urgent care/ER visit. Since he just urinated recently, you can safely watch him at home for now. Try to continue encouraging the small, frequent sips of Pedialyte or other electrolyte solution. His heart rate is faster most likely due to stress, possible pain, and possibly mild dehydration, but in and of itself is not a very worrisome feature. As long as he's urinating 1-2x every 10-12 hours, you can keep up with the fluids by mouth, but if he does not urinate at all for 10 hours straight (other than overnight) or if his vomiting becomes non-stop, or if he's having terrible stomach pains, or if he's completely lethargic like a rag doll, then I would seek medical attention. If you can make it through the first 24 hours, kids usually turn the corner and gradually improve.

Can I answer anything else for you today?

If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.

Last spring he had a 3 day hospital stay for a stomach bug that wouldn’t go away. The reason the kept him was because his blood sugar got down to 48 because he couldn’t keep anything down for days. After he was better they sent us home with zofran, which I still have. Can I give him any for the nausea? Or can I give him a Tylenol suppository? He’s upset that he feels miserable.
His temp is rising... up to 99.2 now

I understand. Yes, you can certainly use some Tylenol for both pain relief and fever reduction. If you still have Zofran, an anti-nausea medication, that isn't expired, then yes, you can use that too as it will make him feel better and more likely to hold down fluids. Focus on small, frequent sips of fluids, preferably Pedialyte, but Gatorade or a sports drink could work too, but not just plain water, as his body does need the sugar and electrolytes to remain well hydrated.

Any other questions I can help with?

He’s doing 10x better. Eating, drinking, and playing. Temp is still 99.2 but his cheeks are red now. What is this from? Picture attached
Cheeks
Hello again. His cheeks look a little flushed which can come from the low grade fever. It can also be a part of the most likely viral illness that caused his vomiting. Many stomach viruses also cause rashes. It should resolve as he ultimately recovers from the illness.
Ok. Thanks for all your help! How long is he contagious for? Just curious about sending him back to daycare
You’re very welcome! Once he’s fever free and not vomiting for 24 hours, you can consider him no longer contagious and clear to return to daycare.
Richard Han