Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My five-year-old daughter was complaining of headaches when…

My five-year-old daughter was complaining...
My five-year-old daughter was complaining of headaches when lying down. I took her to pediatric NP and she saw green snot and postnatal drip. Prescribed antibiotics for sinus infection. She had not complained of headaches since then, but last night she said that she had one when lying down again. Does this sound like a brain tumor? I am terrified.
1/17/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician

Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 13years of experience in the field of Pediatrics. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

Thank you.
Hi... I understand your concern. I need more information before guiding you further.1. Since how long has she been complaining of these sort of headaches?
2. There any incessant vomiting associated with headaches?
3. How is her vision off late and during the headache? I mean is she she complaining of any vision disturbances like blurring of vision or double vision?
4. Is there any weakness of particular part of the body?
5. Have you observed any recent behavioural changes or behavioral disturbances like abnormal inhibition of social behaviour or irritability or excessive anger?
6. Is there any associated loss of consciousness with the headache?
7. Is there any family history of migraine with or without aura?
8. Is the headache unilateral or bilateral or frontal headache?
9. Is the headache always associated with fever?
10. Is the headache more while bending down forward?
11. Does she prefer to sleep during headache and after sleeping does she feel refreshed?Kindly revert back to me with answers so that I can guide you better.
1. She first told me last week, but at that time she said they had been bothering her since mid-December. She did have a cold around that time.
2. No3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. Yes—my father has migraines8. Front of the head (forehead) and told pediatric NP she had some facial tenderness9. No
10. Don’t know. She says it only bothers her when lying down.
11. Don’t know. She usually gets them before she falls asleep

Hi.... Thank you for getting back with the replies soon. I have gone through your replies thoroughly.

You need not worry at all. This does not sound like Brain Tumor. Please be rest assured.

This looks more like a Sinusitis from which she is recovering well.

The other possibility which I could think of is migraine without aura. But this is a remote possibility as she had facial tenderness along with green snot and post nasal drip, which are very much suggestive of sinusitis.

You can be 100% sure that this is not brain tumor. I assure you.

Hope this helps. Please get back to me any number of times till you have everything cleared regarding the health of your child and I will there to guide you further. I will be happy to help anytime regarding this or any other health query you have.

If you are happy with my interaction, please do remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and professional work.

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (PAEDIATRICS).,

Thank you so much. Does it take a while to recover from sinusitis? She started antibiotics four days ago, which is why I was surprised that she had another headache. She had not complained of headaches since Friday before tonight.
Hi.... Please do not worry at all. The usual course of antibiotics for Sinusitis is itself 10 days.There can be occasional headaches up to a period of 7 to 14 days also even in the recovery period and convalescence.You need not be surprised at all about the headaches as it is known to recur recovery also.Happy to help any time. Please get back to me if there are any further queries regarding this or any other health issue. I am there to help you.Regards ***** ***** Sumanth
Thank you so much. She did seem congested and was snoring during the night.

Hi...this snoring is also expected because there will be nasal congestion and especially more so when there is post nasal drip.

At this age I prefer to use only saline nasal decongestants and not medicated nasal drops.

May I help you in anything else please.

Regards ***** ***** Sumanth

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician
Thank you!