Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I have 3 boys ages 4, 3 and 1. I was cleaning out my closet…

Customer Question
Hi, I have 3...

Hi, I have 3 boys ages 4, 3 and 1. I was cleaning out my closet and found some Tylenol and vitamins. Pitched them in the trash since they were expired. I realized this and gave them activated charcoal possibly 4-5 ours after they would have taken any capsules. They don’t show any symptoms. I’m not certain how much tylenol was in the bottle. It was found empty of contents and with the cap off. I guess my question is would you think I should watch them or rush them in to be test ed in the er.

Doctor's Assistant: How have your child's checkups gone? Is your child progressing steadily in height and weight?

Yes for the most part?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
they found bottles in trash at some point and opened them. I’m really not sure if I should be taking them to er. I gave activated charcoal to each child. Could have been 4-5 hours after they took anything. What would you recommend. It’s the middle of the night currently on the east coast
1/16/2018
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 5 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

Do you think all of them had taken Tylenol and vitamins?

Which vvitamin was it? How much was there?

Did you ask your elder son?

They really don’t have much to say they are sleeping. I’m not certain what and how much they took
Do you feel activated charcoal is sufficient?

Please wait.
I am writing the answer.

Sorry, I need a little more information.

Was it Tylenol tablets or syrup?

How much of it was present when you discard them in trash?

Did you find any spilled over on the ground?