Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband and I are keeping grandsons 21/2 year old and 20…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I are keeping grandsons 21/2 year old and 20 month old.. The 21/2 year old is vomiting with fever, 20 month old has diarrhea and I’m vomiting and diarrhea. While I was in the bathroom my husband gave 20 month old 5 mils of Tylenol and I had just 15 minutes before given him 4 mil should we take him to er.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

No none of us do. It seems to b3 stomach virus.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
1/14/2018
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 4 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

I am sorry for your symptoms?

How is the body weight of the child?

Hello again,
I was waiting for response from you.
I am very sorry for his symptoms.
There is likely a viral infection.
Though you have given double the dose, but it is still below the toxic level.
At this level, ER treatment would not be necessary.
Most healthy children can tolerate 102-103 degrees of fever.
If needed, Motrin can be used later.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Please give plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.
Pedialyte can be given to prevent dehydration & electrolyte loss.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician