Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 6 and is starting to get freckles. He always had 3…

Customer Question
My son is 6 and...
My son is 6 and is starting to get freckles. He always had 3 in his back. Now there's 7. Tiny ones. A new one on his check and on his left front shoulder.
They look normal color and size.
Is it normal to develop freckles randomlyat this age?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
Here is a picture of one of his chest and one on his shoulders. Tiny
1/10/2018
Pediatrician: Dr. Rahman, Pediatrician replied 7 months ago
Dr. Rahman
Dr. Rahman, Pediatrician

Hello! Freckles can come up at any age, particularly in folks that are lighter skinned that spend time in the sun. I wouldn't be too concerned about the appearance of freckles. Warning signs to watch out for for worrisome moles/freckles include those that are changing in size (growing rapidly larger), are asymmetric in shape (not a pure circle), have ill-defined borders, or are changing colors. Based on the picture you sent, none of your son's freckles are worrisome. I hope this helps! If I was able to adequately answer your question, I appreciate a 5-star rating. If not, please let me know and I would gladly followup any further questions. -Dr. Rahman

I hope that I sufficiently answered your question. If I did, I appreciate your prompt 5 star rating. If not, let me know and I will do my best to clarify any further questions. Thanks! -Dr. Rahman

Hello there, was I able to answer your question about your son's freckles? If not, please let me know if there are any further questions you have. If I was adequately able to help you, please provide a positive rating the answer so that I know you were satisfied. Thanks! -Dr. Rahman