Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My three and a half year old son has had an off and on fever…

Customer Question
My three and a half...
My three and a half year old son has had an off and on fever since 12/19. Today is 12/31. A few days later a doctor visit prescribed amoxicillin suspecting sinus infection (he didn’t appear to have that, in my eyes). Saturday 12/23 we went to urgent care and chest X-ray showed suspicion of mild pneumonia, so they prescribed Azithromycin. He seemed ok through Xmas with lots of energy (well, he never did seem truly sick...very minimal coughing only). Morning after Xmas he skyrocketed very quickly to 106.2, within minutes. Trip to ER, blood work negative (just high WBC), no sepsis related illness suspected due to negative blood work. Chest X-ray was repeated and they too suspected mild pneumonia and said the result hadn’t changed much since the previous X-ray. He was given a pneumonia shot (?), then prescribed our third medicine (augmentin). He seemed ok but in the last few days (12/29-12/31 roughly), we get temperature “threats”, from 99.5 to 102.1. The highest was last night at 102.1, so now I feel like he is worsening. I’m baffled because his energy is normal, as is everything else (except his appetite, I forgot to mention) is very very minimal since onset of illness. He’s lost nearly 3 pounds. I don’t know what next steps to take. He’s pediatrician seems unconcerned. We saw him a few days ago and he kept saying “he looks good”. Where is this persistent fever coming from? What if he has something else going on far more serious? At his age I had constant fevers and a few years down the line it was discovered I needed surgery for faulty ureter and nearly lost my kidney.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
12/31/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 3 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

Does he have any other symptom now besides fever, cough & loss of appetite?
How is urine? stool?
Does he complain of pain anywhere?
Besides blood count, X ray, did he have any other test?

Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 3 months ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hi, there is nothing like mild pneumonia. please admit him to a good pediatric hospital for intensive care or else he may come to lose a lung.

Good luck.

Hello again,
I was waiting for your reply.
I am very sorry for his symptoms.
I understand your concern.
He needs a thorough physical examination by his doctor.
Repeat tests need to be taken.
CBC, X ray, urine analysis can be repeated.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician