Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 20 month old fell and hit her forehead hard on the corner…

Customer Question
My 20 month old fell...
My 20 month old fell and hit her forehead hard on the corner of a table this evening. She cried, and it did leave a mark, but did't break the skin. She was responsive, pupils were fine, she was responding, and eating and drinking. She wasn't acting sleepy. She just woke up and now is crying and fussy. I am worried.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
There is some swelling on her forehead, where she hit the table.
Photo is attached.
12/31/2017
Pediatrician: Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician replied 7 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician
I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani from India. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
Hi... I have just seen the image which you have provided and I have gone through in detail about the information you have provided.I understand your concern. First be reassured that your kid is normal.I will suggest you danger signs of head injury -
1. Vomiting continuously
2. Seizures
3. Watery of bloody discharge from ears and nose
4. Unconsciousness
5. Altered sensorium or behaviour.
6. Inequality in the pupillary size.
7. Excessive sleepiness.As none of them are present in your kid, I don't think you should worry about this head injury.The mark over the forehead is just a peripheral bruise, which will initially turn into greenish blue and then brown and then black and gradually get absorbed by itself. You need not use any medication for it or worry about it also. But in total it might take another 7 to 10 days for it to completely resolve.For pain you can give oral Paracetamol in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose every 4-6th hourly.Hope this helps. Please get back to me any number of times till you have everything cleared regarding the health of your child and I will there to guide you further. I will be happy to help anytime regarding this or any other health query you have.If you are happy with my interaction, please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work.Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
okay she is up now and walking, but a little off balance.
Hi... I suggest you give her some time to completely return back to normal. She might have some lingering a pain.You can wait for another 3 to 4 hours, let her have good sleep. After she gets up also if she is still staying then I suggest you get back to me over this forum or approach the nearest medical facility to get her evaluated once.I am happy to help anytime and I will be waiting for the good news that your kid has completely returned back to normalcy and is fine.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani.
Hi... I suggest you give her some time to completely return back to normal. She might have some lingering a pain.You can wait for another 3 to 4 hours, let her have good sleep. After she gets up also if she is still SWAYING then I suggest you get back to me over this forum or approach the nearest medical facility to get her evaluated once.I am happy to help anytime and I will be waiting for the good news that your kid has completely returned back to normalcy and is fine.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

If you were happy with my interaction please give a 5 star rating and respond please. This is the only way we professionals get credited and compensated for our time, effort and professional opinion.

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,