Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 11 year old son has hot tub folliculitus. It’s bad. How…

Customer Question
My 11 year old son...
My 11 year old son has hot tub folliculitus. It’s bad. How is this treated w kids? I have it too. I’m on cipro.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
12/29/2017
Pediatrician: Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician replied 4 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician
I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani from India. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
Oral or topical meds or both?
which?
Hi...I need more information before I guide you through further in this please. Please revert back with answers.1. What are the areas where he got this folliculitis?2. Is there any fever?3. If there is fever, how is his activity in-between 2 fever episodes?4. How long has it been there and is it spreading?5. If it is spreading.... how fast?6. Skin conditions are best diagnosed only after seeing directly. I suggest you to upload photographs of the same, so that I can guide you scientifically.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Buttocks. No fever. Not spreading.
How is this treated assuming it’s folliculitys?
Hi....I understand your concern. As this is not located in the dangerous area of face (area from below the nose to base of chin), which warrants systemic or oral antibiotic usage, topical application of Mupirocin ointment would suffice.I suggest you apply it thrice a day in the area for 5 days.But if Mupirocin is a prescription drug in your country, you will require a doctor's prescription for it.The other option is using over the counter, Betadine ointment in the same dose and schedule.Hope this helps. Please get back to me any number of times till you have everything cleared regarding the health of your child and I will there to guide you further. I will be happy to help anytime regarding this or any other health query you have.If you are happy with my interaction, please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work.Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Hope my answer and interaction has been helpful for you. A gentle reminder to rate the service has five stars if my interaction has been up to your satisfaction and you are happy, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work.Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

If you were happy with my interaction please give a 5 star rating and respond please. This is the only way we professionals get credited and compensated for our time, effort and professional opinion.

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician