Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My granddaughter has almost 102 fever, Er visit or no?

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
12/25/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 3 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

How old is she?

Since when is she having the fever?

Did you give any medicine?

Fever today only, gave Motrin & she will be 14 in Feb

Just to confirm, is she 14 months?

When did you give Motrin?

How is temperature after giving Motrin?

She is 14 yrs old, have been giving Motrin since this morning. Temp keeps rising

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
Most healthy children of her age can tolerate 102-103 degrees of fever.
Sometimes we can wait with higher temperature also, if the child does not have any other symptom & looks healthy.
However if the temperature does not come down readily, she needs to be seen without delay.

You can give her acetaminophen or Tylenol too.
A gap of 2-4 hours should be there between ibuprofen & acetaminophen.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Please give plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician