Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 3 year old has a cough slight fever and has been sleeping…

Customer Question
My 3 year old...

My 3 year old has a cough slight fever and has been sleeping a lot only waking for 10-30 mins at a time not really eating but still drinking more than normal this is day 3. No throwing up doesn’t seem congested

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

3 days she had a cold but seemed to be better 4 days ago and then this started with the cough slight fever and sleeping like 16-18 hrs a day

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

No mam she is normally a very healthy child

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pediatrics
12/22/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 1 month ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

Was she seen by her doctor?

Is she taking any medicine?

How high is the temperature?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has not been seen started as a common cold. I’ve given her children’s ibuprofen to help with fever it has been anywhere from 101.7 up to 102.6 it breaks then comes back

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
Children can lose appetite in an infection.
She can be exhausted from fever, infection causing the drowsiness.
Viral infection usually subsides in 2-3 days.
I would advise to get her examined by her doctor if she does not improve by tomorrow.
Most healthy children can tolerate 102-103 degrees of fever.
Sometimes we can wait with higher temperature also, if the child does not have any other symptom & looks healthy.
However if the temperature does not come down readily, she needs to be seen without delay.
You can give her acetaminophen too.
A gap of 2-4 hours should be there between ibuprofen & acetaminophen.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Please give her plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician