Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Basically, because of inexperience with children and custody…

Customer Question
Basically, because of inexperience with...
Basically, because of inexperience with children and custody issues with my 15 month old, I just recently found out when she was 13 months that she should be weaned from the bottle by 12 months old and her temporary custodian was just giving her a bottle. She was developmentally a little behind, she didn't start holding her bottle til 10 months and just started walking. About a month ago I started trying to wean her off the bottle but she still really wants one at night. My significant other says we should take it away cold turkey but she doesn't drink much from the sippy cup. When I give her a bottle she chugs 2 bottles of milk or water like she's so thirsty. Is it OK to still give her a bottle before bed? Even if it's just water? I don't feel like she really cares what's in her bottle she just seems like she's not taking it well and my significant other and I can't agree on a solution. She says the bottle has to go but I feel like I should do it more slowly. I don't give her a bottle in bed just before bed.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
I also wanted to add that she has been getting inconsistent practices from babysitters, my mom, her father etc... My Girlfriend is very set on just taking the bottle away completely instantly but everything I have read tells me that you should slowly wean them off the bottle to avoid dehydration. She just doesn't drink as much from the sippy cup, and when she finally gets a bottle she chugs water. She didn't have a bowel movement for 3 days and my SO said shes not dehydrated because she has had wet diapers but I really feel as though she isn't getting enough fluids. How much fluids should a 16 month old of 25 lbs drink in milk and water?
12/20/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 7 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

According to her age and weight total fluid requirement is around 1100 ml per day.

It includes total fluid in solids, semi solids, milk or water.

Constipation is also related to dehydration.

It is better to wean slowly from the bottle.

She will adjust gradually.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish her healthy life.

Regards.

Do you have any further query here?

If so, please let me know.

Thanks.