Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Trying to gain weight it’s hard for me I have a fast

Customer Question
metabolism can you help or...
Trying to gain weight it’s hard for me I have a fast metabolism can you help or put me in the right direction
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
12/13/2017
Pediatrician: Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 2 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how tall are you and how much do you currently weigh? And are you trying to bulk up in terms of muscle mass or just gain weight in general? Thank you in advance for your replies.

I’m 5 10 and I just want to gain I can’t seem to go over 130 my sister was the same way and she was prescribed something called mege it’s for people with aids I guess so that they can gain
Hello

Yes, I'm here, apologies for the delay. I'm about to answer now.

There are certain prescription medications given to people with chronic illnesses to stimulate appetite and increase calorie intake to lead to weight gain. No prescriptions are available, however, through the JustAnswer platform. In your case, since it's a fast metabolism we're dealing with, which is genetic, and not a disease, a prescription appetite stimulant would not be effective. I recommend consuming high calorie, healthy foods, with good fats such as avocado and olive oil as well as salmon. Increasing your protein intake as well with lean means like chicken, fish and egg whites, in additional to protein shakes and bars while doing moderate to heavy weight lifting exercise can increase muscle mass as well, which causes weight gain and increased strength. Can I answer any other questions for you today?

Richard Han
Richard Han