Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Trying to gain weight it’s hard for me I have a fast

Customer Question
metabolism can you help or...
Trying to gain weight it’s hard for me I have a fast metabolism can you help or put me in the right direction
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
12/13/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

Why do you think you have fast metabolism?

Did you have any test or diagnosis?

Hello again,
I was waiting for response from you.

I am very sorry for your symptoms.
There are different causes for not getting adequate weight gain.
Some of them are inadequate intake, malnutrition, malabsorption, chronic infection.
High metabolism like hyper thyroid state can be a factor.
All those should be checked for.
You can take a few dietary measures, meanwhile.
In breakfast, along with regular food, you can keep fruits, juice, milk or yogurt, nuts etc.
Oatmeal with milk and banana will be heavier and more calorie rich food.
Milk product, egg, meat, fish, dry fruits, and nuts have more calories.
5-6 meals each day instead of 3 major meals will be helpful increase the weight.
Keep the breakfast ready at night as you may not get time to prepare a heavy breakfast in the morning.
You can keep different nuts in bag, so that you can take them frequent when you can make time
I would advise to get an examination by doctor.
A few tests like blood counts, metabolic panel, ultrasound, scan can be taken as the doctor thinks necessary
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish your healthy life.
Regards.

What doctor do you recommend for this

You can consult your primary doctor first.

He can do preliminary tests & refer you to endocrinologist, if necessary.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician