Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My child is having sleeping issues and I have heard her

Customer Question
snore at night. She is...
My child is having sleeping issues and I have heard her snore at night. She is 16 months old and I am wondering if I should see a sleep specialist. I personally have sleep apnea.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
12/12/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 4 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

How loud is the snoring?

Does she have breathing problem during sleep?

Does it occur in any particular sleeping posture?

Is she overweight?

Does she have any other health issue?

Her snoring is something i can hear when I am just at her door. I have heard her breath funny on her back a few times via our monitor. She is a little chunky but i wouldn't call overweight for an 18 month old.No other major health issues.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
Snoring in children is often not due to sleep apnea.
There can be enlarged tonsil or adenoids causing an obstruction in the passage.
Allergy, nasal blockage, polyp can also be there.
In sleep apnea, snoring is loud & frequent, there can be pause in the breathing where she can gasp after the pause.
Baby can be restless, sweating.
I would advise to get her checked by her doctor for any nasal or throat issue first.
After that examination, doctor can refer to sleep specialist, if he feels necessary.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician