Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 5 year old daughter that has a fever of 103.2 she…

Hello i have a 5...
Hello i have a 5 year old daughter that has a fever of 103.2 she has been having this fever on and off for the most part of the day. We have been giving her advil and motrim alternating between the two every 6hrs.
12/11/2017
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

Since when is she having the fever?

Does she have any other symptom? cough? headache?

She has been having slight cough and has complained about a headache. This first started thi morning at about 9:30 am. This is the highest it has gotten.
Just rechecked temp. And it is currently at 102.7.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
There can be a viral infection.
Most healthy children can tolerate 102-103 degrees of fever.
Sometimes we can wait with higher temperature also, if the child does not have any other symptom & looks healthy.
However if the temperature does not come down readily, she needs to be seen without delay.

Her temperature is coming down.
You can give her acetaminophen or Tylenol too.
A gap of 2-4 hours should be there between ibuprofen & acetaminophen.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Please give plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.

Please do not worry.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

good evening we have given my daughter the combination of ibuprofen & acetaminophen. Her temperature during the day was at about 100.1 and just right now her temperature is at 102.1. we have taken her a bath, she ate some soup earlier today and she ate like two chicken nuggets at around 3:30 she has had only little to drink but not much. Is there something else we need to do keep doing what we are doing or take her in to see the dr. Earlier today she have a little more active but now she's back to feeling bad and lazy.
Thank you for your time

Please try to give her more fluid.
As the fever is high now, she is not feeling well.
She would feel better after antipyretics.
Viral fever usually subsides in 3-5 days.
If she continues to have high fever tomorrow or if she does not feel better, I would advise to get her checked by doctor.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is antipyretics

Sorry, antipyretics are the medicines which lower the fever.

You are already using those like ibuprofen & acetaminophen.

She is also complaining of having a sore throat what can i give her for that

She can do warm salt water gargling.
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt needs to be dissolved in an 8-ounce of warm water.
This can be soothing for throat.

ok let me see if she will do it for us
Thank you

You are always welcome.
Wish her healthy life and early recovery.
Warm Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician