Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son has been sick for three days counting today. I

Customer Question
My son has been...

My son has been sick for three days counting today . I thpught it was a virus so i didnt take him to the doctor.his fever tonight is causing his eyes to burn . I gave him motrin . But his symptoms are adding up to the flu and no doc r open tmw .

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

My son has had a on off fever for three days and no respitory probkems

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
Hello
12/10/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 8 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

How old is your son?

How high is the temperature?

Is there any discharge/ redness in the eyes?

Hello again,
I was waiting for response from you.
I am very sorry for his symptoms.
Most healthy children can tolerate 102-103 degrees of fever.
Sometimes we can wait with higher temperature also, if the child does not have any other symptom & looks healthy.
However if the temperature does not come down readily, he needs to be seen without delay.

Burning of the eyes can occur in viral infection.

It does not necessarily mean flu.

Please do not worry.

You can give him Tylenol too, if the fever is continuing.
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Please give plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.

Viral fever usually subsides in 3-5 days.

If the symptoms do not improve, I would advise to get him checked by his doctor or in urgent care.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.