Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 3 yr old fell backwards off the coffee table and landed…

Customer Question
My 3 yr old fell...
My 3 yr old fell backwards off the coffee table and landed on his head/back. Maybe 18 inches off the floor which is carpet. It was about 3-4 hrs ago. Besides the initial crying for a min he seemed ok. Continued playing, ate supper, the only abnormal thing I noticed was he fell asleep a couple hours early. Would this be a concern for concussion? His breathing seems ok, respiratory rate or 22, pulse 92, temp 97.7.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
12/5/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 8 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

Is there any bruise or swelling?

I just felt the back of his head and I don’t see anything abnormal

Thank you for the input.
I am so sorry for his symptoms.
As there is no other symptom, you can observe.
You can let him sleep.

Sleeping early can be from exhaustion too.
You can watch him from time to time.
It is not necessary to wake him up.
If he wakes up with headache, you need to take him to doctor.
You need to observe a few other symptoms too.
Nausea or vomiting, confused appearance, seizure, blurring of vision, weakness of a limb are some of the symptoms, need to be looked for.
If he develops any such symptom, he needs to be seen in ER.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.

How long do I need to observe him?

You can watch every 2-3 hours for first 12 hours, thereafter please keep an eye for 1-2 days.