Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 10 yrs old son has a lump under skin under the left ear…

Customer Question
Hello, My 10 yrs old son...
My 10 yrs old son has a lump under skin under the left ear and behind the jaw for about a week now. He complains it hurts when touched and when he turns his head. He also has a low grade fever. Should I be worried now? what type doctor should I take him to see?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/28/2017
Pediatrician: Dr Josh, Physician replied 5 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Does he have sore throat or running nose?

Any other health problem?

Is he taking any medications?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

no sore throat or running nose.
no other health issues and I give him pain and fever reducer medicines. He has no fever now but the lump is still there.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your son's problem

Well, It sounds to be enlarged lymph node .

These are the glands which are part of our immune system which trap and kill the infectious organisms.

Lymph node can also become swollen due to some previous infection.
The lymph nodes enlarge and regress back to their normal size once the infectious organism is cleared off.

Having associated fever and pain to touch, indicates underlying infection.

He would need to get blood test- Complete blood count and clinical evaluation from his doctor.

Please take him to primary doctor or Pediatrician for clinical evaluation and get this issue managed.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician