Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is a maintenance guy at a school. A girl left school…

Customer Question
My son is a maintenance...
My son is a maintenance guy at a school. A girl left school today and went to the hospital with strep bacterial meningitis and is very sick. My son cleaned today using gloves when emptying trash, mopping,etc. I was wondering how "at risk" he is of catching this? He did receive a meningitis vaccine (I think meningococcal?) when he was a younger teen (he's 18 now). Does that offer protection against this strain of bacteria? How long does it live on surfaces? Thanks.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/21/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 5 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

I understand your concerns.

Meningococcal vaccine would not protect.

But strep meningitis is less infectious.

Strep infection is spread by cough, sneezing.

So close contact is necessary.

Bacteria doesn't live long outside.

So please don't worry.

He had gloves too.

Okay, thank you. In further speaking with him I have also learned that she is related to his girlfriend but does not live with her. (They see each other weekly). That "ups" my concern level but I'm going to remain hopeful.

Please wait and watch.

Direct coughing can have effect.

Occasional one is less likely.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician