Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I don't know what to do. My daughter and her son (my 3 year…

Customer Question
Please help me. I...

Please help me. I don't know what to do. My daughter and her son (my 3 year old grandson) just moved in with me as she is going through a divorce. My grandson's pediatrician thinks he may be Autistic. The major concerning behavior is him banging his head on the floor or the walls. It has accelerated to the point where he is doing this numerous times a night. He bangs his head very hard and it is tearing me apart. His mother stays up very late at night on the Internet with her streaming business. Then she sleeps in late. She sleeps in the same bedroom as my grandson due to lack of space at our house. She keeps him up in their bedroom all day with her. It has gotten progressively later and later when she finally brings him downstairs and into the family room. It is now 5 or 6 pm before they come out of the bedroom. This is causing my daughter and I to constantly be mad at each other. I have tried talking to her and nothing I can say is changing her behavior. I told her she is causing major problems with him for the future. Nothing works. I don't know what to do. My daughter is almost 31 years old. What can I do??

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean? Like a log of when my grandson hits his head and what is happening in the room when this behavior occurs?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

The pediatrician says my grandson is extremely intelligent. He is speech delayed for his age.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/19/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 8 months ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hi, Sorry about this break-up your daughter is going through and root cause of boy's problem. One can only hope that they both will cope successfully and things will turn out good ultimately. Meanwhile be supportive to grandson, seeing some psychologist also for evaluation and therapy for him.