Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Almost 3 yr old has been sick for 9 days. Started with runny…

Customer Question
Almost 3 yr old has...
Almost 3 yr old has been sick for 9 days. Started with runny nose last week Thursday morning. Same day by 5pm her daycare told me she was shaking and had fever of 100.2. I gave her Motrin that evening and next morning before dropping her back off at daycare. Again she had low fever (100) by the end her day at daycare and had started coughing. Her low fever came and went all weekend, when she felt hot I’d take her temp then give her another dose of Motrin. Monday at daycare she woke up from her nap at daycare with a temp of 102. We ended up taking her to ER Monday night because her temp was 102.7 even after a dose of Tylenol. Swab for flu was neg, chest X-ray clear. They gave her Motrin and sent her home. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday she basically slept nonstop, with only a couple hours awake here and there and those hours awake she is coughing nonstop. This morning she seemed like she felt a little better, actually stayed awake for the morning but still coughing pretty bad and has been asleep since noon (7pm now). What is going on?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/18/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 5 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

How is her temperature now?

How is appetite? feeding?

Does she have any other symptom?

She felt warm when she woke up from nap an hour ago but forehead thermometer said 97.4 (I'm starting to not trust it at all) so we have her some Tylenol. She fell back asleep for about 30 min. She's been awake again for about 30 minutes, head is all sweaty from nap. She has barely eaten anything in days, keeps saying she isn't hungry. We've tried to constantly push her to drink something while she's awake but she's likely not getting enough fluids. She just ate a couple m&ms which is probably the first thing she's actually eaten today. She's just coughing and coughing and coughing. Mostly a dry cough...once in a while I can heard since wet congestion in her chest.
She coughs so hard sometimes it sounds like she is gagging.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
From her history, it is likely a viral infection.
Viral infection usually subsides by 3-5 days, sometimes prolong though.
Supportive measures are needed.
Please try to give her plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.
Tylenol is good to control fever.
Ibuprofen can be given as well.
Please keep the room warm & humidified.
However, I would suggest to get her an examination by doctor again as she is still coughing so much after 9 days.
Sometimes, bronchiolitis, bacterial infection can set in.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Does bronchiolitis typically sound one way or the other, for example wet cough verses dry?

There is no such character.

Chest examination again would be needed to confirm it.

Ok, thank you for your help!

You are always welcome.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a positive rating before signing out.
Wish her healthy life.
Warm Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician