Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Should I apply antiseptic spray or neosporin to my if I have…

Customer Question
should I apply antiseptic spray...
should I apply antiseptic spray or neosporin to my butt if I have lightly bleeding hemorrhoids?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/16/2017
Pediatrician: Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 5 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. Are you experiencing any pain or pus like discharge from the hemorrhoids?

No pus - just some blood when I wipe after pooping. No much pain / just a tiny bit.

Thank you for that info. No need to apply any antibiotic then. Hemorrhoids typically do not get infected, just a little inflamed and itchy. You can apply some over the counter hemorrhoid remedies which typically contain some mild steroid. That helps block the itch and shrink them down a little. Can I help with anything else today?

I'm in Austria - so I'm not sure what over the counter Hemorrhoid treatments I'll have access too. So no need to worry about the small amount of bleeding? Would applying Neosporin or using antiseptic spray be a bad idea?

No need to worry about a little bleeding from hemorrhoids, correct. Applying the antibiotic/antiseptic would not be a bad idea per se, but probably won't be of much benefit either. Anything else I can help with?

! If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.

Richard Han
Richard Han