Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Our 6 year old.woke up with a sore throat. Hd no fever all…

Hi. Our 6 year old.woke...
Hi. Our 6 year old.woke up with a sore throat. Hd no fever all day then this evening it was 100.3. He hasnt wanted to eat much today. He had his flu shot 3 weeks ago. He sneezed a few.times yesterday and a couple times today. He doesnt have any mucus or runny nose. Worried could be the flu.
11/13/2017
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. I will try my best to help you.
I am reviewing the question now and will reply in a moment.

Thank you for waiting.
I am very sorry for his symptoms.
It is unlikely flu.
Flu shot usually requires 2 weeks to work.
He has got it 3 weeks back.
So by this time, he should be protected.
There can be other viral or bacterial infection.
Different cold viruses are there.
You can give him tylenol for fever, sore throat.
If he can gargle, he can do warm salt water gargling.
If sore throat continues, a rapid strep test can be considered.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Wish him early recovery.
Regards.

Ok. I wondered about strep. He had it a few months ago. Although he woke up with sore throat tummy ache and 103 fever. I immediatly thought strep and took him in that morning. Was positive. Was feeling better in a day after antibiotics started. Think caught it early. Is it too early to check for strep or should i do it tomorrow?

You can observe.

If the sore throat gets worse, then he will need it today.

Otherwise, he can be tested tomorrow.

Well its 8pm so..

I am not telling to go now.

Tomorrow is quite OK.

Ok. Thank you. So 3 weeks os for sure enough time to be peotected? It was exactly 3 weeks ago today

You are always welcome.
3 weeks is enough for protection.

Wish him healthy life.
Warm Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician