Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

I took my daughter to her pediatrician for fever and cough…

Customer Question
I took my daughter...

I took my daughter to her pediatrician for fever and cough fever has been 100 to 103.7 it's back up again tonight this has been since Monday Pm should I be worried! .

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Cough started this am it's a deep cough her lungs were clear just fever and cough.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

They said not to be to worried unless she still has the fever 48 hours from now. Then bring her back no other history.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
10/12/2017
Pediatrician: Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician and I am happy to help you. How old is your daughter? Regarding your daughter’s temperature, assuming she is over 2 months old, and an otherwise healthy, vaccinated child, the fever, specifically the height of her temperature, in and of itself is not a cause for worry or concern. It will make her uncomfortable but the temperature itself is not dangerous or harmful. Since you’ve already seen your pediatrician, he/she has already ruled out any dangerous causes of the fever and has most likely concluded that she has a viral illness. Coughs can sound deep in the chest but as long as she is not having any rapid, shallow, labored breathing, the congestion and phlegm is likely only in the nose and throat area and not in the chest. Tonight represents about 48 hours of fever and cough which is typical of an upper respiratory virus or common cold. I agree with you doctor, should your daughter’s fevers persist over 101 F for 4-5 consecutive days then it is time for re-evaluation with either blood testing, urine testing and/or a chest x-ray.Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help with?
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 4 months ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Hi, sorry about her illness. Can expect some 3-4 such short fevers a year so wait out first 3 days and see dr again if necessary. It may help if you invert her posture to head/chest down when in bout of cough, to help her drain out excess secretions. Give repeated sips of warm sugar-salt water all waking time and steam inhalation 2-3 times. Good luck.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician