Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

6 year old daughter 2 days ago started getting hives all…

Customer Question
6 year old daughter 2...
6 year old daughter 2 days ago started getting hives all over body. Size from dime to 6 inches in diameter. She had periods of getting a few hives and has many food and environmental allergies in her past. We live in northeast with low allergen levels at this time. No changes to diet or new laundry detergent or soaps or clothes. Hives's do not itch much. Have given some benadryl doses. Only thing we can think is viral but no symptoms of any illness present. Weather has cooled down but temperatures in house have remained constant. We are scared and confused.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
She has never had this many and of this size.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2017
Pediatrician: Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician replied 8 months ago
Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician

Hello. My name is***** and I just read through your question.

In general, once hives start, they can continue for 7-14 days. They can also migrate from one part of the body to another, and spread. Benadryl is good, but it is short acting and only remains in the system for about 6 hours. I usually recommend a long acting anti histamine for the hives that do no immediately go away. We use either zyrtec or claritin daily for 7 days. If the hives persist beyond that point, I have the kids go to an allergist for evaluation and testtng. If the hives do resolve, there is no need to investigate further.
Regarding potential triggers, yes it could be viral. However, if this turns out to be a one time thing, and it is treated, and it resolves, there is no need to go further. If this becomes recurrent, an evaluation by a pediatric allergist is warranted.

Any more serious different diagnosis?

HI,

No, not at all.