Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Su S I am contacting you because we have another symptom and…

Customer Question
Hi Dr Su S I am...
Hi Dr Su S
I am contacting you because we have another symptom and would like to find out what would be causing this and if linked to the conditions we previously discussed (Mycoplasma pnumoniae, Erythema Nodosum, high IgE). My daughter got a red patch in her eye around midday and then it went away about 2 hours later, but has then returned again this evening about 4 hours after. The eye is not itchy or sore. I've attached a photo. It was in the same spot both times. The coming and going so quickly seems very unusual so I hope you can explain what's causing it.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
9/27/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 8 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

After how many minutes did it go away?

We saw it at midday and two hours later when we checked again it was gone. I noticed it again at 6pm and three hours later it is still there. Same spot.

Thank you for the input.
I am again sorry for her sufferings.
In erythema nodosum there can be eye involvement in the form of iritis.
But her picture does not look like it.
In iritis, there would be much pain, congestion usually around cornea, sensitivity to light.
There appears to be a congested blood vessel with some extravasation.
It can be from allergy as it went away.
Itching may not be there always.
Mild trauma from rubbing can be a factor too.
You can observe now.
If it persists or there develops pain, visual difficulty, please get her checked by doctor.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

She has not been rubbing it at all as it is not bothering her. If it was allergy why would it come back in the exact same spot?

It can not be predicted actually where it would occur. But other conditions like episcleritis usually cause pain & it would not go back so soon.

Her IgE is high (1188). This morning I noticed a couple of red patches on her chest (that weren't painful or itchy) and after about 20mins they went away. And then the eye thing happened this afternoon. Could it all be because of the high IgE? She has not had any hay fever symptoms at all, so it makes it hard to believe that it is all driven from allergies.
I've noticed that the veins in her legs are more prominent than normal. Is that linked to anything at all?

High IgE itself is related to allergy.

As the symptoms were transient, those are likely factors here.

Prominent veins are unlikely related.

Why would she not have any hay fever symptoms at all? No sneezing, itchiness etc

The symptoms of allergy vary.

Some may have more symptoms some less.

I find it unusual that this red spot in her eye has come back in the exact same spot and is the same size/shape as earlier in the day. Could allergies work in that way?

Allergy can affect the same area & also different areas.

It is not unusual.

Ok, thank you for your time. Would you expect it to be gone in the morning?If it is still there in the morning do we need to get it looked at, if it's not causing her any pain or discomfort?

You are always welcome.
I expect it to be less prominent by morning if not gone away fully..
If it remains same or increases in size, I would advise to get her examined by doctor in the morning.
Wish her healthy life and early recovery.
Warm Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician