Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

What's causing my hives? I get them once in a while, and…

Customer Question
What's causing my hives? I...
What's causing my hives? I get them once in a while, and they go away in a few days. I believe the first time was in June, I don't have any food allergies that I know of. I take cetirizine 10mg and it seems to help I guess. It happens when I wake up and start itching then I notice them and sometimes they're itchy.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
9/27/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Saha, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor

Hello, Thank you for using Just answer. Do you have any other symptom or illness?

No

Thank you for the information,
The presence of itching and hives indicates an allergy.
Often the cause of allergy is not apparent.

Besides food, there can be environmental allergen too.
Allergy test can be needed if the doctor feels necessary.
You can continue Benadryl or Zyrtec as you

You may need prescription grade antihistamine.

Sometimes, oral steroid can be needed too if it does not respond to antihistamine.

I hope this information helps.
I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.
Please feel free for any follow up query.
Best wishes.

What environmental allergens? And those can make it come and go once in a while?

There are different allergens.

There can be contact with plant, soap, animal dander, insect bites etc.

There are different allergens.

I don't know of any

Yes, you may not be aware of any such contact or intake. If it continues to recur then allergy test can be considered.

Do you think it's anything serious? Or if I would need blood work etc?

I​ do not think it is serious as it is occurring once in a while. Many people have it.

it's a long term thing? What are signs that it's serious ?

If it occurs frequently with severe rash, & other symptoms like fever, weight loss, yellow skin, gland or liver enlargement etc., then it is likely to be serious.

Yeah no other symptoms, i also have hives near the neck and I believe one on the forehead or near it. But not as itchy as the ones arm

So, it does not look serious.

Please do not worry much.

Should I just take an antihistamine everyday to prevent them?

I​t is not necessary to take it daily if you do not feel any symptom.

Ok thanks
Any creams?

Hydrocortisone cream is available OTC.

You can use it.

Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 8 months ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Any further query? Will be happy to assist.