Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has a fever of 38.5 I woke her to give her

Customer Question
My daughter has a...

My daughter has a fever of 38.5 I woke her to give her medecine 5ml of ibuprofen she weighs 20 kilos

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

She has respiratory symptoms with wheezing and she started the fever tonight when she fell asleep but had a slight fever of 37.8 before sleep

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

When she talks she has trouble finishing her sentence at once

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Pediatrician: Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 8 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hello my name is***** I am a board-certified pediatrician and I am happy to help you. Please give me a moment to review your question.
Fever will often cause children to feel confused, uncomfortable and to look unwell. How old is your daughter? Does she have any chronic medical illnesses?
She is 6 years old and has had pneumonia before. I am in Spain and have a Spanish phone number. I prefer to chat as kids are sleeping. I have a baby and I worry he will get sick. When should I bring my 6 year old to emergency? 39 fever? Is the wheezing safe?
I understand. The fever temperature in and of itself is not necessarily dangerous. If she is having distressful breathing, in other words rapid, shallow, labored breaths, gasping, flaring of the nostrils, sucking inward of the upper chest/neck area or between the ribs, then I would take her to emergency.
For just noisy nasal congestion breathing I would not be as concerned. Children often breathe a little faster with a fever. You can try giving her a fever reducer to lower her temperature, not because it's dangerous, but for comfort, and see if her breathing slows down and looks/sounds more normal.
Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help with?
If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please click the button to accept the answer. I would also appreciate the kindness of a positive review. Thank you.
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 8 months ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Hi, sorry for the symptom. Please avoid ibuprofen for slight, bearable rise in temp. No need to wake sleeping child. Please give sips of warm sugar-s0alt water for congestion. Tylenol is safer for those with wheeze.
Good luck.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician