Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 1 year old woke up with a sudden fever of 102 today.

Customer Question
My 1 year old...

My 1 year old woke up with a sudden fever of 102 today. We've given her Tylenol and it's gone down to 100.5 (now back up to 101.2 before bed). What worries me is that this afternoon and this evening she has started having involuntary tics - squeeze her eyes shut for a second or two. This is not blinking, it is very clearly a facial spasm or tic. She has also had a few jerky movements (somewhat like startle reflex when she was a newborn). I'm really afraid that these are febrile seizures

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

Just since this morning

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, that's it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
9/11/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 11 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

How many times did it occur?

How is her general condition, consciousness, feeding?

Did it occur at the height of temperature?

It happened several times today - in the afternoon, the tic (scrunching up her face/closing eyes) would occur about once a minute for ten minutes. I thought it was because the sun was in her face. It stopped. Then tonight before bed it started happening again, about one tic every three to four minutes.
She is a little lethargic. She is nursing all right but not at all interested in eating any food.
It occurred when her temperature had lessened. This morning her temp was at its peak- 102. This afternoon It was at 100.5, while tonight when it happened her temp was back to 101.2.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
Her symptoms are not typical of febrile seizure.
Usually generalized convulsion occur, though focal one may occur too.
Febrile seizure have good prognosis.
However, as it is a new symptom, I would advise to get her checked by doctor.
You can use ibuprofen too to reduce fever.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Children often loose appetite in infection.
Please give her plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.