Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 6 year old daughter has a fever of 101.7 and she's

Customer Question
Hi.....my 6 year old...

Hi.....my 6 year old daughter has a fever of 101.7 and she's complaining about a neck pain. I'm guessing she sprained the neck in her sleep

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

2 days now

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

It sounds like a muscle sprain type pain

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
8/28/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 11 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

Can she touch her chest with chin?

Does she have any other symptom?

Did you give any medicine?

Hello again,
I was waiting for response from you.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
I understand your anxiety about meningitis.
If she can touch her chest with chin then it is unlikely from meningitis.
There can be muscle strain as you suspected.
Most healthy children can tolerate 102-103 degrees of fever.
Sometimes we can wait with higher temperature also, if the child does not have any other symptom & looks healthy.
However if the temperature does not come down readily, she needs to be seen without delay.
You can give her tylenol or ibuprofen.
A gap of 2-4 hours should be there between ibuprofen & acetaminophen.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Please give plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.