Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

A 17 year old has had the dx of bacterial Vaginosis since…

Customer Question
A 17 year old...

A 17 year old has had the dx of bacterial Vaginosis since age 7. Every antibiotic, gel insert, metronidazole etcetera has had no effect. Now she has vaginal pain with intermittent shooting pain in lower bowel. She has seen specialists in the distant past, (also, blood screen show consistently evelevated white count but her G.P. says there is nothing else to be done. I don't buy it and am extremely concerned about possible abscesses, precancerous or cancerous conditions as well as her ability to have children later. (She is still a virgin.) What should we be doing to get her some relief AND what should our concerns be? How do we get her doctor back on board

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

The smell and discharge are horrible. She works full time, doesnt seem more tired than usual, excepting the pain aswell as the sensitivityto most soaps, washes etcetera (extreme burning in genitals) I don't know if she's running fevers. She has constipation with blood at least 1 x week.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

Im not sure..just the shooting pain..she says it almost feels like electric shocks and will double her over.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
7/30/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 8 months ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Hi, sorry about this. Have you got the discharge tested in lab for slide and culture-sensitivity? Sure there would be drug found effective and should be given as i.v. course. Good luck.
Im going to have to inquire w/her doctor about the results of the swab..Is it possible that there is more going on besides BV? Her m.d. has been pretty dismissive of the whole subject. She keeps insisting that C tell her the TRUTH re being sexually active..basically calling her a liar, but at the same time won't do any further investigating..couldn't such a long running infection cause abscesses or ulcerations to her vagina, cervix etceteta? With pain presently chronic in vagina and lower colon, should we be concerned about destruction of tissue possibly leading to fistula or cervical cancer? Do you think we should find a doctor that is more inclined to investigate and get to the bottom of this? Or is such a long term active cases of BV with her underlying symptoms more common than we thought? Im 57 and never had so much as one yeast infection, so this misery that she's dealing with really worries me.
P.s. Thank you!
You are welcome. Yes all such fears are valid, need to be addressed.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician