Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 2.5 year old has had a runny nose and mild fever

Hi there, my...

Hi there, my 2.5 year old has had a runny nose and mild fever (100-101.5) since Friday (4th day today). He was he was complaining his stomach hurt yesterday and again today, but feels better after he pooped. Poop was solid but light green. He is otherwise in good spirits, Motrin brings the fever down.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

No vomiting or nausea. This is 4th day of runny nose and mild fever, though he seems to be regaining energy and some appetite. His poops were normal until today.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, everything normal

Yesterday his fever was the highest, 102.5. Today highest was 101.5 but normal with Motrin.
7/24/2017
Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician
Hello. My name is***** and I just read through your question.
It seems by all indications in your history that your son is experiencing a harmless viral illness. The fever curve looks like it is coming down and he has been otherwise in good spirits. Fever in viruses typically last 2-3 days but they can last longer, as appears to be the case here. But as ling as the fever comes down a little everyday and he remains reasonably well, there is nithing else that needs to be done. It will likely continue to resolve on its own.
Thank you. Is there any concern about the stomach pain or light green stool?
You are very welcome.
The stomach pain is most likely due to a very mild dehydration and will subside when the virus does. The green stool is also not worrisome. As long as we don't see red in his stool, we are ok.
Thank you, ***** ***** days can fever last before it's a concern?
You're welcome.
In a child who seems otherwise ok, I give it a week. At that point it is most likely still a harmless virus, but worth a look.
Thank you
You are very welcome
Please don't forget to leave a rating. Thank you.
I may want to check in tomorrow if that's ok, I'm not sure how this works, if I rate you and it closes the dialogue.
No need to worry. It will not close the dialogue
Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician
He doesn't have a fever today, but he isn't eating still and complaining that his tummy hurts. He's been drinking but very very little pee.
He hasn't pooped today and very little yesterday, my husband thinks we should try pedialax. What would you recommend?

HI,

i'm glad there hasn't been any fever today. It can sometimes take a few days for the stomach to heal. The pedialax is a good idea if you believe that he has a bowel movement that he is having trouble passing. This could actually be the case, viruses can slow down the system and cause this. So, I would say, pedialax is a good idea.

Thank you. What about the lack of pee? He has very little given the amount of liquid he is drinking. Also giving him pedialyte popsicles.

The only time I get concerned about that is if he goes an entire 24 hours without urine at all. If he is giving you even a little bit, we can continue to hydrate him at home and not worry.

Ok thank you very much.

You are very welcome.

Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician