Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 5 and has allergies. They are pretty bad. We live…

My son is 5 and...
My son is 5 and has allergies. They are pretty bad. We live in Florida and have had 4 days of intense rain. Today was the first day of sun and humidity again.
He complained his head "hurt" on one side near his temple only when he shook his head or was jumping.
Then his eyes were itchy.
He plays and eats as normal. But I keep asking and he says yeah. It hurts when I shake my head.
Is this a scary symptom? No fever.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now heavy saying it hurts in his forehead area and top of his head and he's tired. No fever. I'm worried.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he's very tired. No fever.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry for all the replies.
Basically it started around 5pm today and he's been very active and playing all evening. Just randomly will say his head hurts. His forehead area mainly. His eye are itchy. Nose is stuffy but not running (Zyrtec dries it up). Again, first of 5 days with no rain here
Just wondering if headache like this could be serious? I have terrible hypercondria and always go to a bad bad place when there's something wrong.
6/9/2017
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Hi, sorry about this symptom. One sided headache is likely to be symptom of Migrane so please see your pediatrician. Meanwhile please give Tylenol every 5-6 hours. Good luck.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not one sided. Did you read my replies??
Still it could be that.
Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician
Hello. My name is***** and I just read through your question.Firstly, I do not believe this is a serious headache. The picture you paint is very consistent with seasonal allergy, which you acknowledge. The zyrtec is a great idea and I'm glad it's drying up the mucus. The headache is likely due to some mild sinus inflammation that he is experiencing as a result of the allergy. His playfulness is evidence that the headache is nothing serious.
However, if it persists beyond 1 week, I recommend an exam by your doctor. Not because I believe it's so serious, but because that could indicate the possibility of infection that might need antibiotic. Of the symptoms resolve before then, we can forget the whole thing.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. And is a headache like this ever a symptom of something serious?
Without a fever or visible cold..I worry!I have had a sinus stuffiness and tired mess all week. I also suffer with allergies. But today he was not sneezing but, was stuffy and headache. Itchy eyes ect...
I understand your worry. But you can be assured that the headache is not a sign of anything serious. Just the sinus inflammation as a result of his allergy.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thanks.
He's saying it's hurting temple to temple. So I'm hoping it's fine. It's not painful to stop him from anything. Just more annoying. Making him tired.
Keep in mind, temple to temple is where the frontal sinus is located. So the location is not surprising.You are very welcome.Good luck.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I was in a very worried place.
Very understandable.You're welcome
Please do not forget to leave a rating.
Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He slept great. Woke up today fine. No headache complaints. Would something serious make the headache come and go? Or would it be persistent? I just want to totally not worry about this.

Good morning, I'm so glad he woke without the headache.

Yes, Serious headaches would be persistent and this one is not persistent. I stand by our orginal diagnosis of allergy related sinus inflammation causing the headache.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thanks. Overall, head aches are normal for kids?

Oh yes.

Headaches can happen in any age group.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. And just for my knowledge..brain tumor headaches cause other symptoms in children? Or are they just deliberating headaches? How do you know what's serious

Typically, brain tumor headaches cause early AM headache that worsens from day to day and ultimately leads to daily morning vomiting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thank you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help

Please do not forget to leave a rating.

Thank you.

Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician