Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

What can I give a two year old for diarrhea ?? No he has had…

Customer Question
What can I give...

What can I give a two year old for diarrhea ??

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No he has had it for a few days ,He is not on any meds

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No Meds

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I don`t think so

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/21/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Captain, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. So far, 99% of the justanswer community of patients has found my answers helpful, and I have the honor of being the highest rated clinician on the site! I will do my best to win over your approval as well.

— For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. I will first provide a summary answer to your question, AND, if you would prefer some additional back-and-forth, with additional questions and more details clarified, I'm more than happy to stay around with you, free of any additional cost to you. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Our goal here is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

1. 1. The most important thing: fluids fluids fluids (electrolyte repletion is important!)
  2. 2. Sleep as much as possible
  3. 3. Advance diet slowly, review handout given
  4. 4. Wash hands often to prevent spread
  5. 5. Try Tumms, Mylanta, Maalox, warm clothes applied topically, warm baths

6. Follow up with medical care for any blood per rectum or new questions/concerns or poor resolution after 7 days

7. Ddx: viral gastro, ambient or food intolerance or irritants, doubt IBS, doubt any bacterial antigens

Acute gastroenteritis, commonly known as AGE is a sudden onset of vomiting, diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps. AGE can be caused by viral or bacterial infections. Sources of the illness are usually unknown. A patient can have one or all symptoms.

When vomiting, a patient can become dehydrated and lose electrolytes. Electrolytes help our bodies function, so it is very important to stop the vomiting as soon as possible. If excessive vomiting occurs, a patient usually complains of weakness, dizziness and body aches.

Diarrhea is also a symptom of AGE. Diarrhea is the way the body gets rid of the virus or bacteria. Contamination from the diarrhea is usually how AGE is passed from one person to the next. Good hand washing after each bowel movement is strongly recommended. Over the counter medication such as Imodium AD can help with symptoms, but is not a substitute for change in diet.

Wait two hours after your last episode of vomiting and slowly start clear liquids. We recommend about 1/4 of a cup every 15 minutes for one hour. Advance as tolerated. Stay on clear liquid diet for 24 hours. If unable to tolerate clear liquids seek medical attention ASAP.

AGE Diet:

1. 1. Clear Liquid Diet
  2. 2. Water
  3. 3. Gatorade
  4. 4. Jell-O
  5. 5. 7up or Sprite
  6. 6. Beef or Chicken Broth (FAT FREE)

After tolerating clear liquids for 24 hours advance to the BRAT (or bland) diet. Continue with the clear liquids as well. If vomiting resumes with the BRAT diet, return to the clear liquid diet for another 24 hours. If diarrhea does not subside after 3 days after changing diet, then seek medical attention. BRAT Diet:

1. 1. Bananas
  2. 2. Rice (white)
  3. 3. Applesauce
  4. 4. Toast
  5. 5. Crackers
  6. 6. Potato (baked or boiled)
  7. 7. No Dairy: butter, margarine, milk, cheese, ice cream, sour cream
  8. 8. No greasy or fried food. Avoid processed foods as well.
  9. 9. No fresh fruits or salads (except the banana and potato) if having diarrhea

Here is a handout about diarrhea in kids

And another

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician