Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

I was put on qvar for nighttime wheezing and chest

Customer Question
Hello, I was put on qvar...
I was put on qvar for nighttime wheezing and chest congestion. Started after a cold.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/13/2017
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 9 months ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

I think your full question has not come through.
Since when are you having those symptoms?
Did you get any other treatment?
Did you have any test?
How old are you?

Since fall of last year. I was given qvar, albuterol, I'm currently taking omezaprole for heartburn, I was on prednisone for a couple days. I am still taking qvar but as soon as I try to come off it I get mucus build up which causes me to cough and I get chest tightness. All test indicate my lungs are clear. Do I have to taper off the qvar to get completely off of it?
I have had a clear chest xray, clear allergy test, clear pulmonary function test.

How many times do you take qvar in a day?

In which dosage?

twice a day once in the morning and again at night 80mcg

Thank you for the input.
I am so sorry for your symptoms.
As you feeling symptom after stopping qvar, gradual reduction can be helpful.
You can try to reduce the dose gradually after discussing with your doctor.
40 mcg can be taken instead of 80 mcg in the morning.
Then similar reduction can be done in night dose after a few days.
Your doctor can make a detailed plan.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician